TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 11:06:25 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Measuring Thor (was: Modeling with ANSOFT)

Marco wrote:

> My only worry is, will the grid be sensible to the Efield?

That's the crux of the problem.  We must shield the
divider column so that its charge distribution depends only
on the potential of its hot end.   If the divider runs down the
center of the secondary, we must isolate it from the direct field
of the secondary.   If the divider rises above the topload then
we must shield it from the field emanating from space charge and
streamers.

Perhaps it may be satisfactory to probe the toroid voltage
from one side of the toroid, and encourage breakout to occur
at the opposite side.

If we can manage to get at the toroid voltage accurately, we would
be able to study the detailed time evolution of the discharge in
terms of the amount of charge deployed into the discharge. We could
examine the behaviour over several RF cycles, and with some attention
to scope triggering, we could look individually at each bang to
quantify the memory effect.

Perhaps we could have a trial run at this without demanding
much accuracy from the top voltage prope/divider - just to get
a qualitative look at things.  We would be able to see if
the scheme was realistic, and we could get an estimate of how
well shielded the divider/probe actually needed to be.
--
Paul Nicholson