TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 08:04:40 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] A naive question about discharge elongation

Marco and all,

Although there are tantalizing pieces of the puzzle scattered through
the literature, I'm not aware of any any studies that attempt to
describe or model the propagation of long gap RF discharges.
Considering that most funded efforts deal with discharge prevention,
the absence of studies that deal with how to optimize spark length is
also not surprising. The few studies that address damped wave HV RF
focus almost exclusively on single event utility switching transients,
and unfortunately none of these studies deal with RF voltage
transients centered about 0. It appears that the field is wide open
with respect to TC spark research.

-- Bert --

Marco.Denicolai@tellabs.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> After reading all the references gathered from some of you, iteratively
> the references of these papers, several HV books, articles, etc. I feel
> I know something more but I am sure there is A LOT I don't know yet.
>
> There is material about positive discharge, negative discharge, corona,
> always with AC or single, more or less standardized pulses. I found very
> few relevant data about elongation of AC discharges with freq. of the
> order of kHz. Nobody seems to have bridged a 3 m gap with only 600 kV
> (as Thor and typical TC do). I have began to think that:
>
> - AC with high freq. (kHz) can bridge longer gaps than a single positive
> pulse (with crest voltage = peak AC voltage)
> - there is no study of AC discharge as a succession of a negative and
> positive discharges, analysing the static charge left and explaining the
> elongation mechanism.
>
> What is your opinion?
> Did I misunderstand this phenomena here or...?
> Is the TC long discharge mechanism analysed, modeled and known in the
> literature or isn't?
> Any references were this is done?
>
> Best Regards

> The information contained in this message may be privileged
> and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
> reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
> employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
> the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this
> communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
> this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
> replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.
>
> Thank you.
> Tellabs
>
> .

We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP
Technical Books. Stoneridge Engineering -- http://www.teslamania.com