TSSP: List Archives

From: "Denicolai, Marco"
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:21:06 +0300
Subject: [TSSP] Secondary dynamic Efield

Hi Paul,

I'm getting acquainted with HV resistive dividers. I tested my first one
and got proof of its poor performance. What actually spoiled it was its
10 pf stray capacitance to GND. I got a step response of 30 us (!). Some
would say easy to guess for a resistance of 1.2 Mohm.

Hanging the divider at 3 m height will sure reduce its capacitance to
gnd. That was my original plan. But now I learnt that any discontinuity
in the Efield even AROUND its water column will result in unbalanced
stray capacitance and, therefore, in slow step response.

I'm reluctant to place the divider inside the secondary because it's
difficult to mount it and service it there. But there the Efield should
be pretty constant. But... Now comes my question.

If I recall you and Terry produced some nice dynamic plots of the
secondary voltage and current. Wasn't it so that they were varying at
the secondary frequency? That would imply not constant dynamic Efield
distribution inside the secondary and make the probe placement there
definitevely a bad idea. Am I right?

Best Regards

information contained in this message may be privileged   and confidential
and protected from disclosure.  If the   reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or an   employee or agent responsible for delivering
this message to   the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this   communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received   this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by   replying to the message and deleting it
from your computer.    Thank you.  Tellabs